I’ve already covered the top pregnancy symptoms as well as surviving pregnancy itself in ‘The baby diaries’ so next up is labour. Anyone who’s given birth will tell you that it probably hasn’t exactly gone to plan so rather than concentrating on the big day I thought it might be helpful to compile a list of items that you might need for your hospital bag.
- a bag big enough to fit everything in, obvs!
- hospital notes and birth plan
- comfy clothes such as leggings and a loose t shirt to lounge in before you get changed into your nightgown
- a cardigan-it gets cold in hospitals
- socks/slippers-see above
- a nightgown or big t shirt to give birth in
- a bikini top if you’re having a water birth
- a dressing gown
- a hairband, my hair really annoyed me during labour and I felt better once I’d tied it up
- lipbalm, you’ll probably get dry lips if you use the gas and air
- moisturiser in case your skin gets dry
- a cooling face spray- I got so hot!
- a magazine/book/charged kindle-for all the waiting around
- massage oil-make your partner useful!
- your phone and a phone charger-you’re going to want to take some selfies and have a camera on hand at all times
- change for parking
- change for the vending machine
- snacks for energy during labour and something to eat for afterwards-you will deserve some chocolate :)
- drinks, I have never been so thirsty in all my life!
- toiletries/hairbrush/toothbrush etc
- maternity sanitary towels
- BIG pants
- a maternity bra and breast pads
- some going home clothes
- ipod and speaker-nothing like a bit of mood music for lifting your spirits or relaxing you
- I would also suggest your partner take a change of clothes and some toiletries to freshen up
- 6 vests, various sizes (tiny baby and newborn)
- 6 sleepsuits (as above)
- 2 cardigans
- 2 hats
- scratch mittons
- 3 muslin cloths
- a baby towel
- small pack of newborn nappies
- cotton wool
- snow suit if it’s cold
- a blanket
- car seat-practice putting it in and out of the car before hand
Did I forget anything? What were your essential hospital bag items?