Vanilla Naked Cake
An easy recipe to create a beautiful vanilla naked cake, frosted with vanilla buttercream and topped with meringue drops and fresh fruit.
- 425 g Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix I used two boxes to make four layers
- 6 eggs medium
- 12 tbsp vegetable oil
- 360 ml water
- 1/2 jar strawberry jam
For the buttercream
- 300 g butter unsalted
- 600 g icing sugar
- dash vanilla extract
- meringue drops
- blackberries, cherries, strawberries, figs
- sprigs of lavender
Grease and line 2 x 10" cake tins
Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas Mark 4/350ºF
Mix the eggs, oil, water and cake mix together and whisk for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy
Pour the cake mixture evenly into your two greased cake tins
Bake in the centre of the oven for between 22-27 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
Once the cakes are completely cooled even them out my slicing off the tops to make sure they're flat. Add jam to the top of the first layer followed by a 1/4 of the buttercream. Repeat until you reach the top layer then add the remaining buttercream and scrape any excess. Use a spatula to spread as much or as little buttercream as you want to the outside of the cakes.
Top with fresh fruit and meringue drops
- Decide how many layers your cake will have and make sure you have at least two tins to speed up baking time.
- Use a simple box cake mix to save time or try one of the naked cake flavour ideas listed above.
- Once you've decided what flavour cake to make find a complimentary frosting. Use the list above to help you.
- Bake the cakes in advance and freeze them. Remember to take them out to defrost 1-2 hours before you add the frosting.
- If you don't make the cakes in advance make sure they are completely cool before you attempt to ice them.
- Make sure the cakes are even by using a serrated knife, this will stop the cakes toppling over when you stack them.
- Decide in advance what you'll be using to decorate your cakes. There are decoration ideas below.
Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 74mg | Potassium: 6mg | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.1mg