Really Easy Fairy Cakes
Servings: 12 cakes
A really easy recipe for Fairy Cakes made from a simple sponge and topped with water icing and sweets. Perfect for children's parties or a sweet treat. A brilliant opportunity for you to do some easy baking with the kids!
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs (or 3 medium eggs)
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g icing sugar sifted
- 3 tbsp warm water
- sweets to decorate
Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 180ºC Fan / Gas 6 / 390ºF. Line a 12 hole-bun tin with fairy cake cases.
Add all the fairy cake ingredients to a large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes with a hand held electric whisk or 5 minutes by hand.
Divide the mixture between the fairy cake cases and bake for 15 minutes or until the fairy cakes are golden brown and spring back when touched in the middle. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Put the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually stir in the warm water until you have smooth icing. It should be the consitency of toothpaste.
Spoon the icing on top of the fairy cakes and decorate with sweets.
Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Fairy cakes can be frozen (undecorated) for up to 1 month.
- Use half a cup/100ml of vegetable oil or olive oil in place of the butter. You can also swap butter for the same amount of coconut oil.
- Swap caster sugar for granulated white sugar, light brown caster sugar, demerara or brown sugar.
- Use 1 mashed banana or 1 cored apple cut into pieces and stewed on the hob or in the microwave in place of the eggs.
- You can swap self-raising flour for plain flour. Just add half a teaspoon of baking soda to it.
- Substitute baking powder with half a teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar together with half a teaspoon of baking soda. If you don't have any baking soda you can use 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 45mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 249IU | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg