Sticky Ginger Cake Topped with Clotted Cream and Crystallised Ginger
Servings: 4 individual cakes
A classic sticky ginger cake made with stem ginger in syrup and topped with clotted cream and crystallised ginger.
- 200 g unsalted butter, softened plus extra for greasing
- 300 g light brown soft sugar
- 100 g golden syrup
- 100 g black treacle
- 4 balls Opies stem ginger in syrup chopped into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 225 ml whole milk
- 1-2 cubes Opies crystallised ginger finely chopped
- 1 tub clotted cream
Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease 4 10 x 6 cm cake rings and place them on an oven tray covered with grease proof paper.
In a pan, gently heat the butter, milk, sugar, syrup and treacle until the butter has melted. Remove from heat and stir in the stem ginger.
sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices in a large bowl. Pour in the milk mixture and whisk. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake rings.
Bake for 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Once baked, leave the cake rings on a wire rack to completely cool. Be patient or the cake will stick to the sides when you remove the rings!
Top with clotted cream and crystallised ginger.
- The measurements in this recipe will also fill a 23cm round cake tin.
- It's important to use softened butter so that the other ingredients don't boil when you heat them together. Using butter that's already softened will prevent this.
- The cakes can be briefly reheated in the microwave for 1 minute.
Calories: 1047kcal | Carbohydrates: 151g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Cholesterol: 211mg | Sodium: 370mg | Potassium: 624mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 111g | Vitamin A: 1470IU | Calcium: 295mg | Iron: 6.8mg