Lemon Posset by Mary Berry
Servings: 6 people
Mary Berry's classic lemon posset - a delicious, creamy and zesty dessert that's perfect to serve at a dinner party and easily made in advance. This dessert is so elegant but really packs a citrus punch. Lemon Possets contain only 3 ingredients!
- 3 lemons
- 600 ml double cream
- 150 g caster sugar
Zest and juice three lemons
Pour 600ml double cream into a large saucepan and add 3/4 of the lemon zest and 150g caster sugar
Bring to the boil stirring continuously then simmer for 3 minutes
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then whisk in the lemon juice
Transfer to a glass jug and pour into serving dishes
Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight)
When you're ready to serve - sprinkle over the remaining lemon zest and a couple of lemon thyme leaves if you're feeling fancy!
Serve with shortbread biscuits
Lemon posset top tips
- Make sure you buy unwaxed lemons
- Rub lemons on the kitchen worktop before you begin to get the most juice from them
- Zest before juicing
- When zesting rub the grater on the lemon as opposed to the lemon on the grater
- When you're heating the double cream, watch it like a hawk and stir continuously otherwise it will boil over
- Let the cream and sugar cool slightly before adding the lemon juice so it doesn't curdle
- Pour the mixture into a glass jug and then transfer to the dish you are using to avoid spillage
- Lemon possets can be frozen. Defrost in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Calories: 457kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 137mg | Sodium: 39mg | Potassium: 149mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 1480IU | Vitamin C: 29.2mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 0.3mg