Have you got any candy canes hanging around from Christmas? Here's the perfect opportunity to use them up by making a homemade gift for Valentine's day!
These candy cane hearts with white chocolate centres and decorated with sprinkles are the simplest little treats to put together. You could also make miniature ones from the smaller candy canes and keep a jar full of them in the fridge or wrap them in cellophane and tie a pretty red ribbon around.
How to make candy cane hearts
- Preheat your oven as hot as it will go.
- Arrange the candy canes on baking paper in the rough shape of a heart.
- Heat them in the oven for around 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them, I have been left with a bubbling puddle of sugar many times if I've let myself get distracted. You want them soft and malleable but not at melting point.
- Take them from the oven and work quickly to get them into shape as they will set rock hard again once cool. Pinch together the top and the bottom of your heart shape taking care not to burn your fingers.
- Next, melt some white chocolate and spoon the melted chocolate into the centre of your hearts.
- Add some festive sprinkles or edible glitter.
- Leave them to set in the fridge for an hour, and then wrap them (or eat them) as you wish.
- Merry Christmas!
As I had so many candy canes I decided to make some white chocolate dipped peppermint pretzels (or breadsticks in other words!) you can see a post with the instructions here.
Pin this recipe to your Christmas board