With national chocolate week approaching (yes it's a thing) a week where basically we can all say yes to chocolate in its many glorious forms every day, right? So as to completely embrace the celebration, obvs.
Now that the sun has put his hat on for the last time and autumn is well and truly upon us I've come up with a twist on the traditional summery Eton Mess recipe.
The addition of balsamic vinegar to the whisked egg whites makes for a wonderfully crisp meringue with a chewy centre. Ordinarily, I would pair my dark chocolate meringue disc with tart raspberries but since I didn't have any I used strawberries instead thus inventing my own version of dark chocolate Eton Mess that will keep in the Kilner jars in the fridge for a good 3 days. Unless the kids spot them of course...
Dark Chocolate Eton Mess
For the meringue disc:
- 6 large egg whites
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (sieved)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 50 grams dark chocolate (finely chopped)
For 'The Mess'
- 500 millilitres double cream
- 500 grams strawberries
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate (coarsely grated)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4/350ºF and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Beat the egg whites until satiny peaks form, then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny. At this point, you should be able to do the trick of holding the meringue bowl upside down over your head. If you can't do this confidently, keep beating!
- Once done, sprinkle over the cocoa and vinegar, and the chopped chocolate. Then gently fold everything until the cocoa is thoroughly mixed in. Mound onto a baking sheet in a circle approximately 23cm / 9 inches in diameter. Place in the oven, then immediately turn the temperature down to 150°C/gas mark 2/300ºF and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. When it's ready it should look crisp around the edges and on the sides and be dry on top, but when you prod the centre it should be gooey. Turn off the oven and open the door slightly, and let the chocolate meringue disc cool completely.
- When cool break up the meringue into bite-sized pieces and add to bowls or Kilner jars. Whisk the cream until thick but still soft and dollop on top of the meringue.
- Chop the strawberries and scatter them over the cream and coarsely grate the chocolate over the top.
I love using the Kilner Jars for desserts like this, they are especially good when entertaining guests as they present the food so beautifully and you can prepare them well ahead of time. When I'm not serving pudding in them I put them to good use by arranging small posies of flowers in them and each year I threaten to make some chutney and use the jars to preserve various Christmassy things in, so watch this space!
What do you like to eat during National Chocolate Week, do you favour milk, dark or white chocolate? I'd love to hear your recipes so leave me an idea in the comments below.
Pin to your recipes board!
*Post contains affiliate links
Rosie @ Little Fish
Mmm, these look so delish! Love the idea of the Kilner jars too. They look lovely! x
Yum!! Wish I was good at making meringue so I could make these! Love the little jars, the presentation is beautiful xx #TheList
This look AMAZING!! Serving it in jars is such a nice touch too
OMG that's heaven in a Kilner jar. Your food photography and styling are gorgeous. Such an amazing job. I definitely have to try this. Maybe with raspberries or cherries. They're my favourite things to combine with chocolate, yum x
Ooo this looks delicious - will have to give it a go! #TheList
Wow, this does look really good. And a whole week dedicated to chocolate? Perfection. These would NEVER last in my fridge for 3 days. They'd be hoovered up in minutes! #TheList
Nadia - ScandiMummy
Oh my, these look delicious, Amy. And I love the presentation too. #TheList
Nadia - Scandimummy x
Oh my gosh. This sounds amazing! I've actually never had an Eton mess! Even though I absolutely love meringues! But your dark chocolate version sounds amazing. I couldn't live without chocolate!
Laura - dear bear and beany
Eton Mess is my favourite dessert ever! I love this twist on it and will be giving it a try. I love this idea to serve it, it's perfect for entertaining xx
They look very decadent!! I must give them a try! #TheList x
Anything that involves trying to whisk eggs into 'stiff peaks' gives me nasty flashbacks. It reminds me of trying to make a pavlova for some friends (I'd even gone out and bought a beautiful bake stand - so excited I was about making it). My husband came home that night to find me in the kitchen with gooey sugar all over the walls, a burnt-out smelling electric whisk while crazily screaming 'just a few more minutes - I'm sure I'll get stiff peaks soon'. He had to take the whisk out of my hand with a fearful look on his face telling me to 'put the weapon down'. So as much as I'd like to try your recipe as it looks AMAZING!!!, I'm really not sure we can go there again. My walls never did recover LOL #thelist
Becci - The Unnatural Mother
Dark chocolate !! yes , yes , yes !! Im rubbish at anything to do with the kitchen but i will be having a go at these #thelist
Now my mother in law would love this. Eton mess is one of her favourites. perhaos I should impress her and make this when she comes to visit at half term. Thanks for hosting #TheList
Alana - Burnished Chaos
This look and sound delicious, I love anything with dark chocolate, yum. I don't like cream though so would have to have mine with ice cream, double yum!
Yes! (fist pump). I want this and I want it now. Definitely going to bookmark it for the start of next summer, strawberries are so good in June and I run out of ideas for what to do with them :) Yum yum yum.... #TheList
Wow, as a fan of Eton Mess and a dark chocolate addict - this is basically heaven to me! X #thelist
Always love the effort you put in to the photographs that accompany your writing, the styling here is beautiful and yes so is the desert which I will be having my mini chef (Aspen) attempt, she is our little desire queen! And she is nuts about chocolate like her mum especially dark chocolate! #Thelist
Pat - white camellias
It looks divine and love the presentation too. Elton Mess is one of my favourite but never had it with chocolate #thelist
I love eton mess, but I've never made chocolate meringue. I'll have to try that. It's a bit like cheesecake but with meringue (and cream!)
YUM! I have pinned because they look so tasty! Beautiful pictures too
Yum! I love Eton Mess but never tried it with chocolate! #TheList