This Nutella Stuffed French Toast makes the best breakfast or brunch there is. After all, how do you improve on a French Toast recipe? Stuff it with warm oozing Nutella of course! Sprinkle with powdered sugar, drizzle over a little maple syrup and top with berries for a rich, gooey and indulgent treat.
For this recipe, you will need: brioche bread, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, Nutella, powdered sugar, maple syrup and berries.
A couple of weeks ago I made my first batch of French Brioche Bread, it was so good that before it was gobbled up I deliberately reserved a few slices and left them a day to go stale.
I did this with the sole intention of turning the delicious brioche into French toast and it just so happens that homemade brioche makes the best French toast there is.
I make French toast on some weekends or special occasions like Valentine’s day or birthdays and I love to stuff it with Nutella for extra decadence. There’s something wonderful about brioche bread that’s been basking for a few minutes in the egg mixture, already aromatic from the added cinnamon.
Add in the irresistible nutty flavour of Nutella and you’re on to a winner.
You simply have to make this recipe because it is beyond delicious and I know you’re going to love it.
So forget about the calories – sink your teeth into golden brown stuffed french toast, and savour Every. Single. Morsel.
I use the same recipe as regular French toast but instead of soaking the slices of bread one at a time, I stuff them with the Nutella and sandwich them quite tightly together and then soak the slices as a pair.
I prefer French toast cooked in butter on the hotplate on my stove, however, this recipe could be baked in the oven – just add the sandwiched bread into the egg and milk mixture and bake at 350ºF/ 180ºC for around 40 minutes.
Nutella Stuffed French Toast Variations
If you don’t have any brioche on hand you could use regular white bread, muffins or even bagels. You could easily roll the bread up or turn it into stuffed French toast sticks – just like Churros if you wanted to.
I love my French toast topped with powdered sugar, blueberries and maple syrup but strawberries, bananas or any other soft fruit would also taste really good.
You could add banana to the Nutella inside the French toast or peanut butter is a winning combination.
I know you’re going to love this recipe…
How to make Nutella Stuffed French Toast
This recipe is simple quick and easy, just follow the steps below for a perfect breakfast or brunch.
- Time needed: 15 minutes (includes cooking time)
- Serves 2
- In a bowl whisk two eggs and 1/4 cup of whole milk until combined. Add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of salt and whisk until incorporated. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
- Take 4 slices of (about 1 inch thick) brioche bread and spread with 1 to 1 – 1/2 tablespoons of Nutella. Sandwich the slices of bread together and press down firmly with the palm of your hand.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and let them soak for around 30 seconds each side. (Note: you don’t want them completely sodden with the mixture or they’ll turn soggy and won’t brown)
- Heat your hotplate, skillet, frying pan or similar and add a tablespoon of butter per sandwich. Once it’s melted add the sandwich and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown.
- Slice on the diagonal, dusting each half with powdered sugar. Drizzle over a little maple syrup and top with fruit.
Step-By-Step Images To Help You
Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a bowl
Slice the bread 1 inch thick and spread it with Nutella
Soak the sandwiches in the egg mixture for about 30 seconds on each side
To serve, sprinkle over powdered sugar, drizzle with maple syrup and top with fruit.
I hope you enjoy indulging in this delicious breakfast as much as I do.
If you loved this recipe please give me a 5-star rating below and leave a comment.
More recipes I think you’ll like:
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk 60ml
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 6 tbsp Nutella
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 1 tsp powdered sugar icing sugar, confectioner's sugar
- drizzle maple syrup
- fresh fruit to serve
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and milk then add the vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Whisk again until fully incorporated. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
- Take 4 slices (1 inch thick) of brioche and spread them with 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of Nutella (see notes). Sandwich the slices of bread together and press down firmly with the palm of your hand.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and soak for 30 seconds on each side (see notes).
- Heat a hotplate, skillet or frying pan and a tablespoon of butter for each sandwich. Once the butter has melted add the sandwiches and fry for around 3 minutes on each side or until they're golden brown.
- Slice on the diagonal and dust each half with powdered sugar, drizzle over a little maple syrup and top with fruit.
- Warm the Nutella in the microwave for a few seconds to make spreading easier
- Avoid soaking the brioche for too long or it will go soggy and won't brown when fried
- This recipe can be baked. Add the sandwiched brioche to the egg mixture in an oven proof dish and bake at 350ºF / 180ºC for 40 minutes
- Best served immediately