I always assumed that biscotti would be a difficult bake. I'm not sure why exactly but they look like the type of biscuits you buy in a box at the Italian supermarket that you save for best when your mother in law pops round for a coffee.
When looking for recipe inspiration for my biscotti I read a comment on BBC food that said:
"life is too bloody short to make one's own biscotti"
Well, we will see about that!
I thought I'd start off simple in terms of flavours and work my way up to interesting flavour combinations (like cherry, chocolate, and pistachio) once I'd mastered the technique.
INGREDIENTS Orange and hazelnut biscotti
350g plain flour
250g caster sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
½ tsp baking powder
200g chopped hazelnuts
1 large orange, finely grated zest only
- Preheat oven to 170C/Gas 3 and line a large baking sheet or tray with parchment.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat your eggs and then add these slowly to the dry mixture to make a dough.
- Mix in the hazelnuts and orange zest.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the mixture gently working in a little extra flour if your dough is too sticky.
- Divide in two and roll into two log shapes.
- Place on the lined baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly, then cut each log 2 cm slices.
- Lay the slices back on the baking tray and return to the oven for 5 minutes, turn them over and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden brown.
Turns out it really isn't that difficult at all to bake one's own biscotti...enjoy!
Pin to your recipe board!
You Baby Me Mummy
They look divine huni xxxx
These look lush! Definitely one to try! #thelist
Yum. I must try it again this year, because my attempt last Christmas was pretty rubbish.
Yum...and so Christmassy...#thelist
Ahhhh biscotti! It's funny when I lived in Italy I thought, ooo bound to see it everywhere... turns out it's not that popular in Milan and biscotti actually just means biscuits, who knew, well I didn't he he. These look lovely, I don't know why they always remind me of winter, the perfect cosy treat #thelist
I like biscotti but always assumed, like you, that it would be tricky. Might give this a whirl! #TheLinkyList x
Love biscotti! Although life may be too short to make it, it's definitely not too short to eat it. Can you send me some? haha #TheList
Alana - Burnished Chaos
Wow, I always assumed these would be hard to make too but they sound really easy. I'll definitely be giving these a go for Christmas. Please let us know if you manage the chocolate and pistachio ones, they sound delicious too x
These sound yum - and great for teething!! #thelistlinky