I promised you guys a Tiramisu and here it is. I have made a few substitutions so it's not your usual authentic Italian recipe, look away now if you like brandy in your puddings. I went a bit cheap and used instant hot chocolate instead of cocoa powder (because I didn't have any) What would Nigella say?! I don't think she'd mind as it turned out delicious regardless, I did add a bit of Green & Blacks dark chocolate just to posh it up a bit!
- 9 teaspoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 350ml / 1½ cups water (cooled)
- 250 ml baileys
- 2 packets (400g) savoiardi biscuits
- 2 large eggs
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 500 grams mascarpone cheese
- 2 ½ teaspoons instant hot chocolate powder
- 2 teaspoons grated dark chocolate to decorate
- mix the coffee with 175ml of the baileys and add to a bowl big enough to dip the savoiardi biscuits in.
- dip the biscuits into the liquid don’t leave them to soak and dip them one at a time or they will go all soggy.
- add a layer of biscuits to the bottom of a medium sized dish
- separate the eggs setting the two yolks aside and keeping just one of the whites for later
- whisk the egg yolks with the caster sugar until thick and pale yellow
- whisk the baileys and mascarpone into the egg mixture until thick and creamy
- whisk the egg white until it is thick and frothy and then fold this into the creamy mixture by hand
- add a layer of the cream to the top of the saviardi biscuits and repeat with another layer of dipped biscuits and top off with cream.
- leave to set in the fridge, overnight is best.
- dust with the chocolate powder and sprinkle grated chocolate over to decorate
There you have it, an easy peasy version of a classic dessert (and it's not just for Christmas, folks) Enjoy!